


Hiking is one of the best sources of exercises because it involves cardio, strenth, and intervals etc. The only problem is that many times, we look at hiking as something we need to plan for, and that takes a long time. When I think of hiking, I usually think about day long hikes or treks that take 4 or 5 hours that span many miles.
The other day, I set off for my daily run. I ran up E. Horizon Ridge where the road ends and turns into a dirt road for miles. Initially, I planned on running for a set period of time, turning around and return home. But as I began running down the dirt road I looked up to my right at the high, and steep mountain side that overlooks all of henderson. I decided to run as much as I could and hike the rest to the top.
It didn't take too long to find out that I wouldn't be running too much. The trail is steep, and the majority of the trail is covered by shale and loose rock. Needless to say, although from the bottom to the top is only maybe a quarter of a mile, it is very steep and difficult. And just when you reach the top you see that there is another little saddle and the real summit is another 300 meters away. When you reach the top, someone has posted a make shift flag to signal the accomplishment.
From the top you can look northeast to the las vegas valley and see some of the strip hotels in the far distance, but the best views are of henderson, lake las vegas and even lake mead. It is definatly worth the hike to view the city from this vantage point. I took some pictures that I have posted below but they don't do justice to how high you really are. You have to see it in person.
Directions: Drive to the end of E. Horizon Ridge and park you car. start walking south/southwest. You will immediatly see the trail off the right hand side of the road. Allow yourself around and hour to get up and back. Happy Hiking!
No comments:
Post a Comment